Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Power Instead Of Theology


When I came to you, brothers, I did not come with eloquence or superior wisdom as I proclaimed to you the testimony about God. For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. I came to you in weakness and fear, and with much trembling. My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power, so that your faith might not rest on men's wisdom, but on God's power. - 1 Corinthians 2:1-5


Paul lays it out pretty clear here that we need not rely on our knowledge and ability to preach a good five point sermon to reach a people. We must like Paul forget everything that theology has taugt us and rely on nothing other than the truth that Jesus died for the sins of the world. I think sometimes we give Paul all this credit for being such a good theologian, yet Paul himself said that only relied on the message of God's grace and on the demonstrion of God's power. I don't belive that Paul would hold himself to the title of greatest apostle ever as so many in the church do. I believe that Paul would hold Jesus above himself, and encourage us to go for the same things he(Paul) did. We use paul as an example of how to be a great preahcer and church starter, yet Paul was just trying to follow the life example set by Christ to accomplish all his work. He knew nothing except Christ crucified. He was weak and fearful when he preached. He needed God to show up and move in power, or he knew his message was useless.


Paul was just like us...not a Super Apostle that had access to greater revelation than we do. I believe if we, like Paul, humble ourselves before the Lord and simply move in Love and Grace, then we too can have the same impact on the world. The first step is to admit we don't "know" enough and we can't preach good enough to change anything. We must rely on God alone, and we must cry out for a demonstration of His Power! If there are no signs and wonders following our mnistries, then we have to question what God we are really serving. Because the God of Jesus, and Paul always moved in Power. Theological preaching must end, and Love and Power Preaching must begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment